engr. Bernadette T. Magadia
BERNADETTE TONGKO-MAGADIA is a professional Chemical Engineer from the University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB) and is currently taking up her Master’s degree in Environmental Science at the School of Environmental Science and Management (SESAM), UPLB. She has been working on biofuels (i.e. coconut, palm, jatropha, soybean for biodiesel, sugarcane, sweet sorghum, molasses, nipa for bioethanol and coconut oil for biojet fuel) research and life cycle assessments (carbon footprint and water footprint accounting) for almost eight years now. She is a University Researcher 1 of the UPLB Interdisciplinary Life Cycle Assessment Laboratory under the Department of Chemical Engineering, UPLB. She is currently a study leader to several life cycle assessment (LCA) studies such as LCA on swine production, abaca fiber production, cocobiodiesel, seven priority crops and an environmental impact consultant for the project “Socio-economic and Environmental Impacts of Bioethanol Production.” She also had valuable contributions to several consultancy services and feasibility studies (FS) such as the Philippine Bioenergy and Food Security Rapid Appraisal Assessment under UN FAO, Impact of Higher-blended Biodiesel on the Philippine Coconut Industry under USAID and NEDA, Development of Philippine Ethanol Policy Paper under the US Grains Concil, FS on commercial sweet sorghum plantation and sweet sorghum syrup processing plant and FS for the Nationwide Deployment of Modularized Village-Scale Ethanol Bio-refineries using Nipa Sap both under NEDA.
She had recently completed the training on Sustainability Engineering to Design “Sustainability Engineering and Management 1&2” hosted by University of Sto. Tomas funded by Commission on Higher Education in cooperation with United Nations Industrial Development Organization. She has presented a paper entitled “Life Cycle Assessment of Los Banos Municipal Solid Waste and Advanced Integrated Solid Waste Management Systems for Environmentally Sustainable Waste Management Planning” for the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry – Asia Pacific 2018 Conference held at Daegu, South Korea. She had also been a technical presenter on the 77th PIChE National Convention 2016 for the paper “Comparative Analysis of Sugarcane and Molasses Bioethanol Carbon Footprints, Carbon Savings and Carbon Debt Payback Periods.”
She has published six refereed and one non-refereed scientific journal articles. She is also one of the authors to the 2018 Philippine Climate Change Assessment (PhilCCA) Working Group 3 Report through Oscar M. Lopez Center: Science for Climate Resilient Communities and the Climate Change Commission, Philippine Ethanol Policy Paper entitled “Ethanol in the Philippines: Injecting Octane into the Bioeconomy” and a contributor to the book “The Philippine Biofuels Industry: Defining the Strategic Directions.”
Research Interests: Biofuels, Advanced Biofuels, Biogas, Life Cycle Assessments, Environmental Impact Assessments, Socio-economic Impact Assessments, Policy Studies
BS Chemical Engineering, University of the Philippines Los Baños, 2011
MS Environmental Science, University of the Philippines Los Baños, 2020
Buendia, L. V., Lasco, R. D., Biona, J. B. B., Badrina, R. B., Baviera, M. S., De Jesus, A. C., Dela Torre, D. M. G., Demafelis, R. B., Pulhin, F. B., Recabar, S. G., Ruzol, C. D., Tamayo, E.G. T., Tapia, M. A., Tongko-Magadia, B., Sabino, L. L., Sabino, N. G. (2018). 2018 Philippine Climate Change Assessment: Mitigation of Climate Change. The Oscar M. Lopez Center for Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Management Foundation, Inc. and Climate Change Commission. ISSN: 2508-089X
- Demafelis, RB, JL Movillon, CD Predo, DS Maligalig, PJM Eleazar, B Tongko-Magadia. Socio-economic and Environmental Impacts of Bioethanol Production from Sugarcane (Saccharum officinarum) and Molasses in the Philippines. Journal of Environmental Science and Management. June 2020 23-1:96-110.
- Tongko-Magadia BD, RB Demafelis and TC Mendoza. Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction Potentials of Bioethanol Production and End-Use in the Philippines at Varying Sugarcane Yields: An Ex-Ante Philippine Journal of Crop Science (PJCS). Special issue December 2018:29-34
- Demafelis RB, Alcantara AJ, JL Movillon, EP Pacardo, MVO Espaldon, ME Flavier and BD Tongko-Magadia. Carbon Emission Reduction and Payback Analyses of a Commercial Scale Molasses-Based Bioethanol Production. Philippine Journal of Crop Science (PJCS). Special issue December 2018:21-28
- Eleazar, P.J.M., Demafelis R.B., A.E.D. Matanguihan, D. Tongko- Magadia, K.M. Gatdula & C.D. Predo. Knowledge, Attitude, Perception and Willingness-to-Pay Survey for Imposing Carbon Tax in the Philippines. Philippine Journal of Crop Science (PJCS) December 2017, Vol. 42 No. 3: 1-10.
- Demafelis, R.B., A.J. Alcantara, J.L. Movillon, E.P. Pacardo, M.V.O. Espaldon, M.E. Flavier and Tongko B.D. Carbon Emission Reduction and Payback Analyses of a Commercial-Scale Bioethanol Processing Plant Using Sugarcane (Saccharum officinarum L.). Philippine Journal of Crop Science (PJCS) October 2015 Special Issue, 40:1-15
- Demafelis, R.B., A.J. Alcantara, J.L. Movillon, E.P. Pacardo, M.V.O. Espaldon, M.E. Flavier and Tongko B.D. Carbon Emission Reduction and Payback Analyses of a Commercial-Scale Bioethanol Processing Plant Using Sweet Sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L. Moench). Philippine Journal of Crop Science (PJCS) October 2015 Special Issue, 40:16-29
- L. Movillon, D.E. Angeles, E.G. Samson, R.A.M. Cabahug, A.B. Obligado and B.D. Tongko. Economic Viability of Sweet Sorghum in Increasing Farmer’s Income by Utilizing the Marginal Lands of Panay Region. Philippine Journal of Crop Science (PJCS) October 2015 Special Issue, 40:103-111
- Demafelis, R.B., A.J. Alcantara, J.L. Movillon, E.P. Pacardo, M.V.O. Espaldon, M.E. Flavier, P.J.M. Eleazar and Tongko B.D. Comparative Analysis of Sugarcane and Sweet Sorghum Bioethanol Carbon Footprints, Carbon Savings and Carbon Debt Payback Periods. Philippine Journal of Crop Science (PJCS) December 2015, 40(3):10-22
- Demafelis, R.B., Baticados E.J.N., Hourani K. A., and Tongko B.D.“Potential of Bioethanol Production from Sweet Sorghum in the Philippines: An Income Analyses for Farmers and Distilleries”. Sugar Tech: An International Journal of Sugar Crops and Related Industries (2013) 15:225-231. July-September 2013. DOI 10.107/s12355-013-0239-4
Tongko-Magadia B.T., R.B. Demafelis, A.E.D. Matanguihan. Global Warming Potential and Renewability of Introducing Soybean Biodiesel in the Philippines. 81st Philippine Institute of Chemical Engineers (PIChE) National Convention, SMX Convention – Bacolod, February 2020
Tongko B.D., R. B. Demafelis, A. E. D. Matanguihan and A. A. Pector. 2016. Comparative Analysis of Sugarcane and Molasses Bioethanol Carbon Footprints, Carbon Savings and Carbon Debt Payback Periods.77th Philippine Institute of Chemical Engineers (PIChE) National Convention , Boracay, Aklan, Philippines. February 19, 2016
Tongko-Magadia B.T., K Perez, C.A. Macalinao. Life Cycle Assessment of Los Banos Municipal Solid Waste and Advanced Integrated Solid Waste Management Systems for Environmentally Sustainable Waste Management Planning. Presented in the Society Of Environmental Toxicology And Chemistry- Asia Pacific 2018 Held In Daegu, Korea On September 16-19, 2018