dr. Veronica P. Migo
Room: ChE Room 9
Dr. Veronica Migo is a PhD is in Agricultural Chemistry, with minor in Analytical Environmental Chemistry. Her research interests are on wastewater treatment, recycling of agro-industrial wastewater, global inventory of pollutants, validation of analytical methods, design of analytical laboratories for food and feed, soil, plant and fertilizer analysis, water and wastewater analysis for ISO 17025 accreditation.
- Process Optimization and Production of Nanofertilizers
- Validation of Methods for Organic Fertilizer Analysis
- Waste to Energy by Direct Combsution System of Municipal Solid Wastes
- Marilao-Meycauayan-Obando (MMO) River System Rehabilitation Project (Blacksmith Institute 2008 to date)
- Site Specific Fertilizer Recommendation for Sugarcane Farms (2013 to date)
- Agro-recycling of wastewaters from Bioethanol Plants (Roxol Bioenergy Corporation, 2015-to date)
- Bioethanol Production from Lignocellulosic Feedstocks (DOST-PCASTRD 2009-2011)
- Global Inventory Project (Blacksmith Institute (2009 to date)
- Bioremediation of Industrial Wastewaters by Hydrogen Sulfide Technology (DOST-PCIERD, 2008 -2010)
- Reuse of Sugar Mill Effluent as Irrigation Water (Philippine Sugar Millers Association, 2007-2009)
- Enzymatic Oil Extraction and Production of Biodiesel from Jatropha curcas (Philippine National Oil Corporation, 2006 to 2009)
- Development and Validation of Analytical Methods for Heavy Metals Analysis (2006 to date)
- Development of Plant Tests Kits to Assess Nutrient Status of Different Crops (2005 to 2008)
- Biosurfactant Production for Treatment of Oil-Containing Industrial Wastes (2000-2003)
- Treatment of Aquaculture Waters and Industrial Wastewaters by Electrochemical Methods (2002 to date)
- Agro-recycling of Distillery Effluents as Liquid Organic Fertilizer (Center for Alcohol Research and Development 1999 to date)
- Production of Diesel Fuel Engine by Ozonation of Sunflower Oil (New Energy Development Organization Japan, 2001 to 2005)
- Establishment of National Reference Laboratory for Diagnosis of Shrimp Pathogens (Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources, 1998 to 2004)
- Ozonation of Highly-Colored Industrial Wastewaters (Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, 2001)
- Improvement of Water and Sediment Quality for Aquaculture (Japan Society for the Promotion of Science,2000)
- Flocculation of Melanoidins in Molasses-Derived Alcohol Distillery Effluent Using Inorganic Coagulants. UPLB Basic Research. (1995)
- Decolorization of Distillery Wastes by Inorganic Cations and Elucidation of Mechanism of Flocculation. (1994)
- Chemical Characterization of Philippine Molasses. NRCP Project –January 1990-Dec 1992)
- Gas Chromatographic Determination of Moisture in Foods. (1991)
- Determination of Moisture in Coco-Diesel by Gas Chromatography. (1988)
- Growth, Nutrient Uptake and Nodulation of Two Legumes in Relation to Rhizobium Strain and Soil Acidity (May 1986)
Chemical Characterization of Agro-Industrial Wastes. (1986)
B.S. in Agricultural Chemistry (1980) U.P. Los Baños, College, Laguna, Philippines
M.S. in Soil Science, Minor: Biochemistry (1986) U.P. Los Baños, College, Laguna, Philippines
Ph.D. in Agricultural Chemistry, Minor: Microbiology (1994) U.P. Los Baños, College, Laguna, Philippines
Post-doctoral Fellowship, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (1996) Institute of Applied Biochemistry, University of Tsukuba, Japan
Visiting Professor (June 2001-May 2002), Institute of Applied Biochemistry, University of Tsukuba, Japan
Fulbright Scholar (Sept 15, 2014-Feb 14, 2015) Department of Chemistry, State University of New York, University at Buffalo, New York, USA
Chapter in Book:
MIGO, VP, Mendoza, MD, Alfafara, GC and Pulhin, JM., Chapter 5: Industrial Water Use and the Associated Pollution and Disposal Problems in the Philippines in the book “Water Policy in the Philippines: Issues, Initiatives and Prospects.” Springer International Publishing AG, 2018.
Catherine B. Gigantone, Marisa J. Sobremisana, Lorele C. Trinidad and Veronica P. Migo. 2020. Impact of Abandoned Mining Facility Wastes on the Aquatic Ecosystem of the Mogpog River, Marinduque, Philippines. Journal of Health & Pollution Vol. 10, No. 26, pp 10-22.
Michael Vincent O. Laurio, Jomuel A. Velandres, Catalino G. Alfafara, Veronica P. Migo, Monet Concepcion M. Detras, Jennifer Marie Sunga-Amparo and Marlo Mendoza. 2020.
Potentiostatic Electrodeposition as an Option to the Traditional Recovery of Silver in Artisanal Gold Smelting Wastewater in Bulacan, Philippines. Philippine Engineering Journal, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp 71-90.
John Vincent R. Pleto, Veronica P. Migo and Mark Dondi M. Arboleda. 2020. Preliminary Water and Sediment Quality Assessment of the Meycauayan River Segment of the Marilao-Meycauayan- Obando River System in Bulacan, the Philippines. Journal of Health & Pollution Vol. 10, No. 26, pp. 1-9.
John Vincent R. Pleto, Jessica F. Simbahan, Mark Dondi M. Arboleda and Veronica P. Migo. Phytoremediation Potential of Vetiver Grass (Chrysopogon sp.). 2019. System for Improving the Water Quality of Aquaculture Ponds along the Marilao and Meycauayan River in Bulacan, Philippines. Journal of Environmental Science and Management SI-1: 19-26.
Vernadette J. Soriano, Veronica P. Migo, Monet Concepcion Maguyon-Detras, Catalino G. Alfafara. 2019. Characteristics and Kinetics of Phosphorus Release from Formulated Fertilizer in Clay Loam Soil. KIMIKA. Volume 31, Number 2, pp. 1-4.
Eva C. Guinabo, Rustico C. Morales, Emmanuel G. Samson, Veronica P. Migo and Ma. Lourdes Q. Sison. 2019. Utilization of Roxol Distillery Effluent as Fertilizer for Sugarcane Production. Philippine Journal of Crop Science. 44 (2): 1-9.
Anthony James DM. Franco, Florinia E. Merca, Myrna S. Rodriguez, Johnny F. Balidion,
Veronica P. Migo, Divina M. Amalin, Evangelyn C. Alocilja and Lilia M. Fernando. 2019. DNA-based electrochemical nanobiosensor for the detection of Phytophthora
palmivora (Butler) Butler, causing black pod rot in cacao (Theobroma cacao
L.) pods. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology. 107: 14-20.
EL Vivas, CG Alfafara, VP Migo, K Cho, MCM Detras, LC Trinidad, MD Mendoza and S Lee. 2019. Comparative Evaluation of Alkali Precipitation and Electrodeposition for Copper Removal in Artisanal Gold Smelting Wastewater in the Philippines. Desalination and Water Treatment. 150:396-405.
Aileen A. Jara, Ramon A. Razal, Veronica P. Migo, Menandro N. Acda, Margaret M. Calderon and Leonardo M. Fl orece. 2018. Chemical Composition of Bambusa vulgaris Shoots as Influenced by Harvesting Time and Height. Philippine Journal of Crop Science, 43 (3):1-13.
John Vincent R. Pleto, Mark Dondi M. Arboleda, Jessica F. Simbahan and Veronica P. Migo. 2018. Assessment of the Effect of Remediation Strategies on the Environmental Quality of Aquaculture Ponds in Marilao and Meycauayan, Bulacan, Philippines. Journal of Health and Pollution, 8 (20), 1-14.
Sazon, Rowena R. and Migo, Veronica P. 2018. Water Quality and Phytoplankton Density in Alinsaog River, Zambales, Central Luzon, Philippines: Implications on Its Land Use. J. Appl. Environ. Biol. Sci. 8(4) 1-12.
Chemistry 32 – Quantitative Inorganic Analysis
Chemistry 131 – Technical Analysis of Food and Feeds
Chemistry 137.1 – Instrumentation
Chemistry 171- Fermentation Technology
Chem Eng 180
Chem Eng 191
Chem Eng 199
Chem Eng 291
Chem Eng 299
Chem Eng 286
MBB 295 – Environmental Biotechnology (Team Teaching)
MBB 240- Industrial Biotechnology